i love the disney channel and all of the entertainers they've produced:
-britney
-christina
-justin & jc
-lindsay
-hillary
-miley
seriously, they are all awesomely cute and wholesome.
As i type this, I'm sitting in front of the tv, and I just accidentally flipped to the "Gospel Music Channel" and saw today's gospel countdown, which featured Carman's "Faith Enough" with the lyrics: "Pray through the night/You'll be alright/As long as you have faith enough." It was suprisingly catchy, with dancy techno beats and flashy lights and a photo montage of "Carman" boxing, so I watched the entire video.
Other things:
Apartment-hunting has been fun, because the weather in Philadelphia has been cooperating, and the areas that I've been scouting (Washington West/Gayborhood, the area near Logan Square and the Franklin Institute) are beautiful and neighborhoody, with trees and used bookstores and the like. Among other things that I've noticed is that 100% of the landlords/brokers/realtors that I've met with have been either old, ethnic (defined by an audible struggle with English), or both. A lot of these people have turned out to be old Chinese/Taiwanese people, to my advantage (they usually tell me that they'll give me the apartment because I'm a Chinese girl, and then bash white people for using too much air conditioning).
One old white man saw me and instantly asked me where "my family is orginally from," and the following conversation ensued:
Me: "My parents grew up in Taiwan, and my grandparents were born in China."
Man: "Ah, that makes for an interesting mix, doesn't it?"
Me: "(awkward giggle) Yes, I suppose."
Man: "I've been to Taiwan, before."
Me: "Oh, really? That's great. I was just there last summer."
Man: "Oh, I was there a long time ago, back when it was called See-ahm."
Me: "Oh, awesome..."
After which I was perplexed for about five minutes, because I am not aware of Taiwan or any part of Taiwan ever being called See-ahm. I then realized that the man meant Siam (is that how it's traditionally pronounced?), which is, of course, Thailand. This conversation is actually not anomalous - amongst the type of people who have the tendency to ask me "where I'm originally from," about one in two confuse Taiwan with Thailand. Usually the response I get is "Oh, I love Thai food," though.
More apartments today. I'm getting hardcore about this. One realtor called and wanted to know about Melissa and my backgrounds. I told her we were recent grads and working, and she said that the landlord wanted someone older because he was living in the building. I instantly became super persistent, telling her that Melissa was consulting and not even there more than half the time, that we both act really old and never ever party, and that we'd really really really be interested in the unit anyways. She relented and agreed to show us the unit today. I'm secretly hoping the landlord will be an old Chinese man and love me.
Wish me luck!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i'm looking for a note of sarcasm and i don't know if it see it. adorable? wholesome? disney might manufacture wholesome stars, but it's like that guy from blues clues who OD'ed. you can't live like that, selling your image to preschoolers (a la miley cyrus) before you one day go crazy from the ridiculously G-rated standards and start flashing your nether regions to the flashing cameras.
hilary i guess is an exception in that list of stars and hasn't either gone crazy or methodically dismantled their links to disney, but maybe it's only a matter of time before she stops living a private life with dignity and snaps too.
anyway, you should try apartment-hunting in business formal attire, and bring a portfolio. although you're already having so much success, i feel like you could go in a tube top and wear body glitter, and you'll still be ok. :)
u forgot vanessa!!
Post a Comment